The V-Buster Antivirus Security System
In 1989, it begun when Dr.Looi vowed to destroy the Counter Warfare Virus, and did! As was it in 1991, did V-Buster reach the village of Storrington, England. Mr.Gareth Powell wrote in the Sydney Morning Herald, 1991, "Nomenclature.....this virus was not detected until it had galloped around the village like the flu. I was the first person to get zapped when my computer fell over and said the hard disk was no longer accessible...."
"Mr.Looi lives in Penang and is an expert on viruses and is incidently, a most senior and eminent citizen of Malaysia. He has written a program called V-Buster which is immensely powerful and checks everything, but everything on your hard disk. "
"..so then I carried V-Buster triumphantly around the houses and used it for mote removal from assorted machines....this is the christmas season"
The article was later picked up by the New Straits Times, January 9th, 1992 which wrote, "A Malaysian anti-virus software program has won rave reviews from an Australian newspaper for successfully detecting and destroying a virus program that defeated another virus killer. Two days before Christmas, The Sydney Morning Herald ran an article on how Dr.Looi Hoong Thoong's V-Buster literally saved a village from a pre-Christmas virus disaster"
Recognised Worldwide by Corporate & End Users
- "Malaysia Hari Ini" (Computer Security & Privacy) 26-06-2001
- "Malaysia Hari Ini" (Sircam Virus) 07-08-2001
- E-Biz, TV3 06-09-2001
- MSC2, Asia News Broadcasting
- MSC Online, 29-09-2001
- Potret Kejayaan, TV3, 03-09-2003
- Potret Kejayaan, TV3, 12-03-2003
Among the many online reviews include:
- Cnet download center
- Virus Protection at Softseek.com
- Zdnet download center
- Newsbytes.com homepage
- Continuous challenges for 'virus buster'
- Taking on the Computer Virus Threat
- Homegrown Software: the uphill battle to make a global impact (Cnet.com)
- The truth about Computer Viruses and Anti-Virus Programs
- Mutating Viruses (Malaysia Best)
- The Malaysian Virus Scene-Facts and Fallacies (Malaysia Best)
- What you should know about the Year 2000 (Y2K) or Millennium Bug
- Let creative sparks fly (Malaysia PC Magazine)
- An industry divided (Cnet)
Hundreds of written reviews, among them:
- New Straits Times, August 19th 1991
"The Vote goes to Virus Buster"
- Ron Wilby, PC Update, November 1991
- Com Magazine, Austria, November 1991
"Der Virenfeind aus Malaysia"
- Gareth Powell, The Sydney Morning Herald, December 23rd 1991
"V-BUSTER TO THE RESCUE"
- New Straits Times, January 9th 1992
"V-Buster gets rave reviews from Australian paper"
- Gareth Powell, PC Review, April 1992
- Multimedia PC, September 13th 1992
"Prova Software. V-Buster 4.8. Una metodologia antivirus"
- New Straits Times, Grapevine, October 1992
"Uncle Looi Getting Famous"
- Office Equipment & Stationery (OES) Magazine, Singapore
- Gareth Powell, The Sydney Morning Herald, March 8th 1993
"DEBUGGED: The Myths About Viruses"
- New Straits Times, July 20th 1993
"Butterfly emerges as new virus"
- Bob Burt, PC Update, September 1993
- New Straits Times, January 10th 1994
"Facts regarding computer viruses"
- New Straits Times, February 10th 1994
"V-Buster Software under pirate attack"
- The Advertiser, April 2nd 1994
"Catch the virus before it bugs you"
- New Straits Times, April 21st 1994
"Paying for what its worth"
- Bob Burt, PC Update, August 1994
- PC World, September 1995
"Software Antivirus Programs: V-Buster Version 7"
- Bob Burt, PC Update, June 1996
"V-Buster 7 Update"
- Bob Burt, PC Update, October 1996
- Kwong Wah Yit Poh, January 17th 1998
"Uncle Looi Virus Treatment"
- New Straits Times, April 20th 1998
"Uncle Looi's hobby turns into virus-busting activity"
- Haakon Rian Ueland, Mensa International Journal, November 1999
- New Straits Times, July 26th 1999
"IT into the New Millenium"
- New Straits Times, July 29th 1999
"IT into the New Millennium: Taking on the Computer Virus Threat"
- New Straits Times, Monday May 3rd 1999
"Don't forget to update"
- New Straits Times, May 9th 1999
"Don't forget to update. Advice from local anti-virus expert"
- Nanyang Siang Pau, August 19th 2000
- New Straits Times, August 28th 2000
"Continuous Challenges for virus buster"
- Kwong Wah Yit Poh, August 28th 2000
- Mensa International Journal, July-August 2000
- Kwong Wah Yit Poh, September 11th 2000
- Kwong Wah Yit Poh, September 16th 2000
- Star, December 24th, 2000
"Computer Virus may strike on Xmas Day"
- The Sun, Monday March 26th 2001
- New Straits Times (E-Business & IT) March 26th 2001
"Virus buster Looi wins PM trophy"
- New Straits Times, Monday March 26th 2001
"Virus-busting veteran scores again"
- Utusan Melayu, Thursday March 29th 2001
"Industri IT tempatan dihargai di APMITTA 2000"
- Sin Chew Jit Poh Homepage, March 24th 2001
"V-Buster - The Ultimate Weapon Against All Computer Viruses"
- New Straits Times, Thursday, April 5th 2001
"MDC holds APMITTA 2000 gathering to honour outstanding IT
- New Straits Times, April 5th 2001
- Kwong Wah Yit Poh, April 19th 2001
- The Star, April 17th 2001
- Sin Chew Jit Poh, April 18th 2001
- Guang Ming Daily, April 30th 2001
- The Star, May 2nd 2001
- Nanyang Siang Pau, May 3rd 2001
- IT Malaysia, May 2001
- PC.com Malaysia, Vol 2. Issue 5. May 2001
- Guang Ming Daily, September 9th 2001
- Sin Chew Jit Poh, September 9th 2001
- Nanyang Siang Pau, September 9th 2001
- The Star, September 9th 2001
- China Press, September 21st 2001
- New Straits Times, October 18th 2001
- Lifestyle, Singapore, May Edition, 2002
- New Straits Times, Computimes, December 2, 2002
- Haakon Rian Ueland, Mensa International Journal, June 2003
- New Straits Times, June 16, 2003
- Kwong Wah Yit Poh, August 25, 2003
- New Straits Times, September 1, 2004
"Celebrating the Success of Malaysian ICT Talent"
- Chip Magazine, November 2004
"Who You Gonna Call?"
- New Straits Times, May 9, 2005
"Removing Stubborn Spyware",etc.
- New Straits Times, August 23, 2010
"Two decades on, the hunter is still out there", etc.
Mr. Looi has written many Research Papers. Among them :
- Steps for Inactivating the Diehard-2 (DH2) Virus
- Mutiani Boot Virus
- Year 2000 or Millennium Bug
- The Diehard Virus
- Restoring a Virus Infected Hard Disk
- Happy99 Email Worm
- The CIH Virus
- The Explore Worm
- Removing a Memory Virus
- Macro Viruses and Microsoft Word
- Worms and Trojans with Read Only Files
- Shedding some light on Mutating Viruses
- Acting against the Michelangelo Virus
- What is a Computer Virus (New Straits Times, January 31st 1991)
- How to Prevent Virus Attacks (New Straits Times, February 4th 1991)
- The Truth About Computer Viruses and Antivirus Programs (Triple-M, Malaysian Mensa Magazine, March 1994)
- Getting to Know the Y2K Problem (New Straits Times, June 29th, 1998)
- What should you know about the Year 2000 (Y2K or Millennium Bug) (PAM Nothern Chapter Magazine)
- Dr.Looi online tutorial on viruses (Malaysia Best)