The Happy99 is a Trojan which acts as an Email Worm. It is not a virus and will not infect files. Once HAPPY99.EXE is executed all emails sent will have HAPPY99.EXE as an attachment. The HAPPY99 Email Worm will only work under Windows 95 or 98. Removing the HAPPY99 Email Worm is quite simple.
- Locate HAPPY99.EXE and erase the file. This file is usually found in the Attachment subdirectory of your email program. Erasing this particular file is unneccessary as it is only used for the initial setup by the HAPPY99 Email Worm. However it is best that you remove this file in case you execute it accidentally.
- Locate SKA.EXE and erase the file. This file is usually found in the Windows\System subdirectory. Sometimes another file called SKA.DLL is also found in the same directory. You should also erase this file.
- V-Buster Version 9.00/22248 and subsequent releases will be able to locate HAPPY99.EXE and SKA.EXE. Both files are identical and are 10,000 bytes long.
If you have an older version of V-Buster, you should do the following:
- a. Run Addstr.Com
- b. Choose Option 1.
- c. Type HAPP99 for the virus name.
- d. Type 9 for the length of the string.
- e. Type F30E420003F083EE05AC for the string.
- d. Type S to save.
Vbuster.exe will now be able to locate HAPPY99.EXE and SKA99.EXE.
- After you have erased HAPPY99.EXE and SKA.EXE you should go to WINDOWS\SYSTEM subdirectory, erase WSOCK32.DLL and rename WSOCK32.SKA to WSOCK32.DLL. Do not erase WSOCK32.DLL if you cannot find WSOCK32.SKA.
Looi Hoong Thoong
17 March 1999